Connect with Multy Home on:
Our Green Story
Build your Space!
1. Is envirotile™ only available in 18"x18"?
No envirotile™ also comes in a 24"x24" tile and a 10"x24" and 10"x36" stair tread.
2. I like the design of the tiles but I want a different color. What is available?
Please refer to the Product Section of the website for details.
3. On what types of surfaces can envirotile™ be installed?
You can use envirotile on top of any flat surface – wood, concrete, paving tiles, etc.
4. Can envirotile™ be installed on the ground, like traditional pavers?
Yes, they can. The ground should be prepared in the same way you would for traditional pavers, bricks and blocks. We recommend removing any grass and excavating 4-6". The ground should then be compacted. We suggest using 1/8"or 1/4" gravel over the ground.
5. I need to trim the tiles, what is the recommended method?
To make the cuts accurately, measure and mark the cutting lines on the tiles or with paper patterns laid on top of the tiles
Place the tile on the table saw and proceed with cutting
For jigsaw and hand saws, it is recommended to secure the tile to the table for stability when cutting
For cutting with a utility knife, it is also recommended to secure the tile to a cutting table for better security
For jigsaw or table saw cutting, please see your local hardware sales associate for blade recommendation
Further details are available in the How-To section of the website.
6. Will the tiles get hot in the sun?
Like most patio pavers, in direct sunlight and high temperatures, envirotile™ will retain heat. Please exercise caution; footwear is recommended in extreme heat.
7. Do I need to remove my tiles from the outdoors in the winter?
Envirotile™ is designed to weather all seasons. No need to bring them indoors in the winter.
8. Are the tiles safe to use around my pool? What will happen when the tiles are exposed to chlorine and other pool chemicals?
Envirotile™ is safe to use around the pool. Concentrated chlorine will discolor the tiles if left unattended. Rinse any chemicals with water as soon as possible to minimize the risk of discoloration.
9. Can envirotile™ be cleaned by just hosing them off?
Yes, use your garden hose to wash off the tiles. Mild dish detergent applied with a soft brush may also be used.
10. Can I use bleach to clean the tiles?
Bleach is not recommended.
11. I spilled some BBQ grease on my tiles. What should I do?
It is best to rinse the area with water as soon as possible to remove any grease.
12. Do I need to use the Connector Clips?
The connector clips are optional but we highly recommend it.
13. Is it true that it is easier to install the envirotile™ connector clips in the warmer weather?
Ambient temperatures make a difference. In the colder weather, the tiles are stiff but in the warmer weather, the tiles become more flexible and easier to manipulate to install the clips
14. Does the ramp edge match the color of envirotile™ exactly?
Due to the recycled content of envirotile™, the color may vary.
15. Are the ramp edges necessary to hold the project together?
No, edges are an optional accessory to finish off a project.
16. Can I drive my car over the ramp edges?
Envirotile™ edges are not designed to withstand the weight of a motorized vehicle.
17. Will sun exposure change the tile's color?
Like any colored item, exposure to the sun will gradually lighten the color of envirotile™ over time. The color will not wear off but rather lighten in shade. Exposure to the sun will not cause the product to deteriorate.
18. Why are the tile colors inconsistent?
Please note: the color varies slightly from dye lot to dye lot and we cannot guarantee that the color will be the same as shown on our website.
19. What is the critical fall height for envirotile™?
The critical fall height for envirotile™ is 5'.
20. Is envirotile™ safe for Pets?
Because envirotile™ is made from recycled rubber tires, it may contain substances that could harm your pet if swollowed.
21. Can I paint envirotile™?
There is no special maintenance regimen required. This pigment-dyed rubber product will fade over time but the color will not wear off--a terra cotta tile today will still remain a terra cotta color in the futre. We do not recommend painting envirotile™.
22. Can this withstand the weight of a hot tub?
In terms of weight, our product can bear 75lbs/psi (per square inch) with only 1% defection. Assuming the hot tub has a flat, level bottom, the weight will be evenly dispersed amongst all the tiles and there should not be a problem bearing the weight.
23. I see there is a 5 year warranty but what is the expected average usable life of these pavers when used as a patio surface?
The tiles are under a limited 5 year warranty. Other than the warranty, we are not able to accurately determine the expected usable life of the product as the traffic and type of use is undeterminable.
24. Will water seap through the tiles? Are they porous? Should I slope the surface?
envirotile™ is made from recycled rubber and the "crumb particles" are glued together, so they are porous. However, most water should sit on the top surface but some water may penetrate the tiles. The water after the rainfall, for example, would evaporate/dry in the sun before it had a chance to seep through the tiles. A sloped surface would accelerate the water drainage off the top surface.
25. What are the white spots on my tiles?
The white spots you see on your tiles are referred to as efflorescence. Efflorescence is caused when soluble salts and other water materials come to the surface of concrete and mortars. In this case, because the tile is porous, it rises to the surface of envirotile™. Efflorescence will dissolve in water, so pressure washing or wet scrubbing with a soft brush and mild detergent will remove the stain and it will wash away. You must be careful to rinse the surface with fresh water so that no residue is left to dry on the tile.
26. Does the temperature affect the size of my tile?
Yes rubber does expand in the heat and contract in the cold. The degree of change will depend on your geographic location.
27. I notice a slight color variance in my envirotile™ patio. Is this normal?
As with natural stone, you may notice minimal color variation across a project. However, color variation should be minimal and over time, will blend with sun exposure.